As many engineers and road crews have seen firsthand, not all stone is the same. At Gibraltar Rock, we quarry the best mineral veins naturally occurring along the mid-Atlantic Seaboard to give your project the solid backbone it needs to stand the test of time. Then we thoroughly wash the material to ensure a minimum of leftover fines for you to clean up afterward.
From our most active quarry in Belle Mead, NJ, we mine two types of stone, each with its own unique properties:
● Diabase trap stone: A very dense, hard mineral similar to granite. Diabase trap stone is exceptionally strong, making it ideal for producing high-strength concrete and asphalt.
● Argillite: A lighter and less dense stone. While still quite strong, argillite is an attractive choice if you’re willing to sacrifice some strength in order to shed weight.
With 350 million tons of reserves, Gibraltar Rock is equipped to haul stone for any size project. In fact, for our very first job in 2009, we supplied 300,000 tons of stone for the concrete runway repairs at the JFK airport. Runway engineers specifically asked for our diabase trap stone due to its superior strength compared with other locally quarried stone. Since then, our ever-expanding, sophisticated network of raw material haulers, which includes more than 250 dump trucks and over 4,000 feet of rail track, has proven more than equal to tasks like the New Jersey Turnpike widening project. Whether you need it by truck or by CSX rail, Gibraltar Rock can deliver thousands of tons any and every day you need it.
Gibraltar Rock has the following certifications and approvals:
● DOT-approved (Department of Transportation) in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York
● Port Authority-approved in New Jersey and New York
● Certified & approved as clean fill per NJDEP and LSRP standards